tiistai 20. syyskuuta 2011

#19: Raspberry Walnut Pancakes

I love pancakes! Is it really ok to eat these for breakfast?!

First time I have even tasted American Style Pancakes was when I made them myself. In Finland we don't have a this type of a dish. We have these thin crispy small/big crepe type pancakes 'lettu' (yum!) and a thick oven-baked kind 'pannukakku' (..cake batter gone bad? yuck!) and their not something we would eat on breakfast. And neither usually contains any berries or fruit. I would eat lettu's with sugar and margarine or jam. Pannukakku's.. I would'nt eat but they are often served with jam and whipped cream.

Wikipedia says: "Finnish pancakes greatly resemble (swedish) "Plättar" and are called "Lettu", "Lätty", "Räiskäle" or "Ohukainen". In Finland pancakes are usually eaten as dessert with whipped cream and/or pancake-jam, sugar or vanilla ice-cream. In Finnish, "Lettu" and "Pannukakku" (literally "Pancake") have different meanings, the latter having structurally closer resemblance to hotcake, and baked in an oven instead of using a frying pan."


 pictures: www.savonsanomat.fi and www.saarioinen.fi



This is propably the best pancake receipe I've tried! The raspberries gives such a freshness to it. In these pancakes, I used frozen raspberries, they worked just fine.



 Because I don't own a pancake griddle (is that the right word?), I used cooking rings. The inside of the rings were lightly oiled and placed on my heavy cast iron pan. When the pancakes were flipped around, the rings were easy to remove.


2 kommenttia:

  1. so cool that this is your first taste of pancakes! You did a great job with them, they look good!

    VastaaPoista
  2. oh no joel, this wasn't my first time... maybe third? but all the pancake recipes i've made are all from this book!

    VastaaPoista