lauantai 24. syyskuuta 2011

#21: Romaine Lettuce Salad with Caesar Salad Dressing and Frying Pan Croutons


Vegan Culinary Institutes La Dolce Vegan challenge continues!
Caesar Salad must be one of my new favourite salads. Before trying it I had always thought it was sort of greasy and discusting. But what's not to like? Crunchy Romaine - yum! Garlicy salad dressing - yum! Croutons - too yum!

Like Kelley, I did the dressing from slivered almonds, because I thought there was no way my shitty hand blender would survive whole almonds. The result was not smooth at all. But as the Veganomicon Caesar dressing instructions go, the almond flakes give the sauce a parmesan feel to it. The Veganomicon receipe has soft tofu in it and I very rarely like to spend more money on dressing stuff, but I actually liked it so much that I'd rather do the dressing that way. I guess using the whole almonds would have had a different result. In this receipe the tamari gives the sauce a brownish colour, I didn't like that.

The Frying Pan Croutons surprised me! With no added salt in the receipe The No Salt Shaker gives the croutons a really salty taste. So it really works, huh? :-]

1 kommentti:

  1. I was a bit worried about the almond chunks at first but I ended up kind of liking them :)

    VastaaPoista